Monday, March 29, 2010

License to ill

So after many if and buts I finally managed to get myself to the DMV on Friday to take the tests required to acquire a South Carolina Driver's License. To start with I felt sort of disappointed, I have since day one been told by the old bags at the DMV that I need an endless list of documents to prove who I am and show everything I have done since the age of three. When I do show up they only want three simple documents (which they didn't really pay any attention anyway).
First (of course, since it is the DMV) you are sent to wait in a room with everybody else for a couple of hours, no exceptions! I then got to take the theoretical test - 30 of the easiest questions I have ever answered. I read the book three times and scored 27. After that I was told to go out and do the driver's test. I had heard this was easy as pie, but you never know...
Well, I drove off with an inspector in the passenger seat and returned ten minutes later with a fail safe pass and a huge grin on my face. I then let the nice ladies take my picture and had card in hand two minutes later.

To a Yank this might not sound that exciting, but where I come from spending three hours and $14.50 to get a licence sound like a fantasy.

No comments: